Oh, Cascadia. A lush and fertile stretch of earth that is home to rich farmland, rolling foothills, and glacial rivers. The people that live on and tend this land are farmers, fisherfolk, teachers, families, business people, and artists. At the core of all their work is a deep respect for their environment, recognizing that human, wildlife, and natural communities are all connected and interdependent.
The holidays are a perfect time to celebrate the bounty that this land offers. Our Cascade Sampler features three shrubs (Blueberry and Lemon, Ginger and Apple, Raspberry and Citrus) that make three delicious and creative gifts to share the love with friends and family near and far.
This slightly sweet and deliciously tart cocktail is packed with antioxidants and prebiotics. It features not just one but two delicious and innovative ways to get the most out of your Blueberry and Lemon Shrub.
- 2 oz vodka
- 1oz Blueberry & Lemon Shrub
- 1 oz 100% cranberry juice
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 dashes cardamom bitters
- Sparkling water
In your favorite pint glass add ice, vodka, Blueberry & Lemon Shrub, cranberry juice, fresh lime juice, bitters, and top with sparkling water. Gently stir. Garnish with Blueberry & Lemon Shrub pickled cranberries.
Shrub Pickled Cranberries
- Fresh cranberries (sliced in half)
- Blueberry & Lemon Shrub
In a small jar add halved cranberries. Add a small amount of shrub so berries are soaking and slightly covered. Gently shake to coat the berries periodically. Soak for 2 hours or up to two weeks.
Too Hottie Shrub Toddy
Whether we like it or not, winter is here. And despite the chilly days and darker nights, the best way to survive and thrive in this season is to embrace and enjoy it. And what better way to do that than with a warming, cozy drink (enhanced with a shot of bourbon!)?
- 1 oz bourbon
- 1 oz Ginger & Apple Shrub
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Hot water ( just under boiling)
In your favorite mug add bourbon, Ginger & Apple Shrub, and lemon juice.
Top with hot water and gently stir.
Fluffy Shrub Pancakes
There’s nothing like waking up on a holiday morning to the smell of pancakes and the sound of the laughter of loved ones (and maybe a couple of gifts, too). It’s even better when those pancakes are extra-fluffy, extra shrubby, and infused with digestive goodness and a flavorful pop of locally-grown raspberries.
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. Raspberry and Citrus Shrub
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine milk and shrub. Let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add egg and butter to the milk and shrub and whisk.
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour ingredients and mix until you reach a lumpy consistency - do not overmix! Leave it for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix again until big lumps or chunks are gone.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and coat with butter.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto skillet, and cook until dark golden brown on the surface.
- Flip with a spatula, and cook until golden on the other side.
- Drizzle with as much maple syrup and shrub as your heart desires, and top with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Something For Everyone
The Cascade Sampler’s three flavors are a home cook or bartender’s best friends! They are perfect complements to old favorite recipes or perhaps new ingredients to experiment and play around with. Either way, they’re a guaranteed, crowd-pleasing way to celebrate the holiday season and the beauty and abundance of the land we all hold dear.